Monday, September 20, 2010

Why you shouldn't talk to me about your weight-loss efforts

#1 I have no frame of reference for what your body weight numbers and am frequently confused.
When you look at me intently and say, "I used to weight 160," I have no idea whether to smile conciliatorily and look shocked that you were ever so heavy, or give you a commiserating nod indicating that I too used to weight less.

#2 Your weight makes you hate yourself and if will confuse you that mine doesn't.
You'll think I'm trying to undermine your efforts. You'll think I'm putting on a brave face. I'm not.

#3 I will tire quickly while you're just getting started.
I have a lot of interests, dieting isn't one of them. I'll be polite, but will reveal my boredom if pressed.

#4 You'll misspeak and be worried that you've offended me.
You may at some point realize that saying that you're hideous and disgusting because you're 30 pounds overweight is incredibly rude. I won't be offended, but I'll feel sorry for you as you try to backpedal.

#5 You'll try to offer advice.
Don't do this. Really. And if you bring up weight loss surgery, no matter how "casually", I'll hold a grudge for years.

No comments: